culture in Kalisz district is very rich and diversified. It shows historical monuments.
Numerous monuments of architecture originating from various periods from the past remind
us of the history. They represent all the styles that are found in Poland. A valuable
monument of archaeology is a reservation set in the southern part of Kalisz where until
the 13th cent. was pre-medieval city with settlements.
The oldest and the most precious monuments of architecture are
sacral objects, though the 12th cent. Romanesque church in
Kotłów, St. Nicholas church and the Holy Virgin Mary church in Kalisz are the
greatest tourist attractions. The ruins and preserved defense towers of castles in
Bolesławiec, Ostrzeszów and Koźmin date back to times of Casimir the Great. In total
there are 2 500 registered monuments of architecture. For example the church in Bralin, one of the winners of "Europa
Nostra" Award in 1993 for renovation and the 16th cent. church in Ołobok are the
most interesting among nearly 100 small churches in the Kalisz district. When it comes to
secular buildings we have to mention the Greater Poland's only wooden city hall, built in
the 18th century in Sulmierzyce. Also, prince A.
Radziwiłł's palace in Antonin is worth seeing. They were patterned after
Neo-Renaissance castles of France. Neo-classical palaces in Dobrzyca and Śmiełów and
numerous palaces and manor houses in Lewków,
Siemianice, Marchwacz are precious objects as well. There are two Poznań National Museums
agencies in the Kalisz district Śmiełów and Gołuchów.
There is also The Museum of The Kalisz District in Kalisz,
Museum of Industrial History in Opatówek, Forestry Center in Gołuchów. Besides there
are regional museums in Ostrów Wielkopolski, Syców, Ostrzeszów, Krotoszyn and in
The Kalisz district is famous for its musical
movement. International and local festival af ancient music, jazz, classical and rock
music are held here. Artistic enviromnent is also well represented.
More than 100 years of tradition is still continued by singing societas and choirs.
Mass media are also important for culture. There are nearly 30
press titles. The best local newspapers are ZIEMIA KALISKA and GAZETA OSTROWSKA. Local
radio station broadcast in Kalisz, Kępno and Jarocin. Local TV station CENTRUM broadcasts
Cultural and artistic events gather prominent Polish and foreign artist who thus
contribute to the unforgettable atmosphere of Kalisz and the whole district.
Kalisz, founded in 1257, was first
mentioned in "The Outline of Geography" by Alexander scholar Claudius Ptolemeus (2nd centure BC). Although Kalisz
was completely destroyed in 1914, many historical buildings survived. They were the basis
of a planning scheme. Its is beautifully situated between the banks of the Prosna River
and surrounded by architecturally varied new boroughs. In Zawodzie borough during the
archaeological excavations the ruins of a medieval castle were discovered. This is the
oldest fragment of Kalisz history which dates back to 9th-10th centuries. The excavations
revealed remains of Romanesque St. Paul's church, one of the most magnificient buildings
in Poland in those days. Mieszko III The Old (1202),
his son, and the ordained bishop Jakub Świnka were buried there. The remains of the stony
fortified tower were also excavated. Nowadays the Regional
Museum of Kalisz exhibits the effects of long work of the archaeologists.